Sunday 18 March 2018

Are Expensive Lip Balms Worth The Money? My Review of Affordable Right Upto High-end Products.

Howdy,

Like most people, I am a massive fan of lip balm and I use it multiple times a day, every day. I prefer to just use a basic chap stick or balm over a colourful lipstick any day. I keep them in every bag I use, in my car, on my bedside table and even on my coffee table in the living room.



These are all in my collection and I have listed them in price order and added a link to where they can be purchased from.

Affordable range


Burt's Bees - £3.99

Burt's Bees lip balm is made with 100% natural ingredients, so this is the kind of balm I have used on my cuticles or even if I've had a dry patch on my face. I know there are no ingredients in here that will irritate my skin, it's a very good all rounder. I find these chap sticks perfect for your hand bag and I use them for work. You never have to dip your finger into a pot, which is perfect and more hygienic when you are at work or out and you may not have the cleanest of hands. 


  • Infused with beeswax, a natural skin conditioner, and Vitamin E to moisturise.
  • Natural lip balms made with 100% natural ingredients.
  • Contain no parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or SLS.

  • SportFX Moisturising Lip Balm - £4.99

    I am surprised just how much I love this lip balm, it does not leave your lips with a film on them and once it has soaked in it is gone and you are fine to apply more. I have read a review saying the tops are not super sturdy and a few have broken. I do now have a slight crack in my lid but as I just keep min in the house and not my bag, this has not been a big problem.
    • Paraben free 
    • Dermatologically tested
    • SPF 15
    • Natural oils
    • Shea Butter
    • Vitamin C, E and F
    La Roche-Posay Nutritic Moisturising Lip Cream - £6.00

    Another good one for your bag, I don't think I have tried a La Roche product that I have not enjoyed. This applies really well and is not greasy. I find this to be longer lasting and perfect to help stop your lips getting chapped in this cold and windy weather, this is perfect if you are planning on being outside in the cold for a long period of time. You won't feel the need to constantly reapply it.
    • 100% hypoallergenic skincare
    • Non-comedogenic (means it won't clog up your skin/ block pores)
    • Made with minimal ingredients and little fragrance 

    Mid-Price Range

    Clarins Instant Light Natural lip perfector - £18.00

    My favourite all rounder. If you want a little colour, hydration and long lasting moisture this is it. Perfect all year round, the packaging is fun and not fussy. The balm applies without needing a mirror, you can wear it alone or over a lipstick. It gives a little shine to the lips but without looking like a gloss, so is fantastic for going from day to night. Perfect natural shine for an evening look.
    • Lips are left looking smooth, shiny and plump
    • Hydrated
    • Long lasting
    • Can be used alone or over a lip stick/ liner

    High end Range

    Dior Crème de Rose Lip Balm - £20.00

    I hate to say this but I think this is the worst balm of this whole bunch. That doesn't mean I hate it, I am just not a fan. For the price you are paying you would expect a lot more. I dislike the occasional white film you are left with on your lips, you apply it and rub your lips together and I feel like I am just moving around the product. I will use this up for sure (look at the cost) but it will remain on my bedside cabinet and be used at night where nobody can see the odd colour it gives my lips.  Lucky husband. ;-)
    • Contains shea butter, rose oils and vitamins A and E
    • moisturising
    • Gives a fullness to the lips
    By Terry Baume de Rose Lip Care - £39.00

    This is lovely and has a hefty price tag to go with it. You could swap a pot of this for a full sized eye shadow palette and to be fair I think that would be a better way of spending that amount of money. I won't lie, I do like this balm and have loved using it, it coats the lips without leaving them feeling caked up with product. It is effective when used at night I have added it into my night time routine and my lips have been feeling fantastic. A little goes a long way so if you were "feeling a little spendy" (anyone catch the Amelia Liana quote there?), then this is a lovely balm to have. I would welcome a full sized tub of this into my collection any day.
    • Soothing rose wax. 
    • Nourishing and emollient floral oils.
    • Hydrating, anti-aging and smoothing Bio-ceramides .
    • Anti-free radical and protective UV filters. 

    The verdict, which one is best?

    So with all these lip balms on the go the real question is, are the high end ones worth the hype and the expense. In my opinion... no, this is probably one of the times where you don't have to invest a lot of money into a product like this. So do I have a favourite form all of these? Yes I do, a clear winner for me has to be the Clarins Instant Light Profector. I keep one of these in my car and I just love it. I put some on every time I am in my car, it is so incredibly moisturising and gives the perfect amount of shine and colour to your lips. You do not need a mirror and no matter the condition of your lips this will always help. If you have been out in the cold and your lips are chapped this will bring them back to life. One thing I love (which some might not think is a good idea, even though I have done this for years) it is that you can keep this in your car no matter the weather. My car can be frozen and the lip product is fine, in the heat of summer exactly the same. No melting as its not a chap stick and the product stays in its tube, no leaking or mess and no need to use your fingers. It has a sweet scent that does not leave a funny taste in your mouth and as it wears off it leaves not a single mark or streak on your lips. It really is worth the little splurge and it will last you months.

    So whats your favourite balm to use at the moment? Find me on IG and Twitter @kara1818 and let me know.

    Thanks for reading
    Kara xx











    1 comment:

    1. Do you understand there's a 12 word phrase you can say to your man... that will trigger deep feelings of love and impulsive attractiveness to you deep inside his chest?

      Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, look after and look after you with all his heart...

      =====> 12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Love Instinct

      This impulse is so hardwired into a man's brain that it will make him try harder than before to love and admire you.

      Matter of fact, fueling this influential impulse is so essential to having the best possible relationship with your man that the second you send your man a "Secret Signal"...

      ...You'll soon find him expose his heart and mind for you in a way he's never experienced before and he will distinguish you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly interested him.

      ReplyDelete